Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Four Weeks

In exactly 4 weeks my job officially goes on hiatus. From May 29 to July 10, I will not make the hour-long commute from Burbank to Culver City. I will not sleepily jab at the buttons on the Starbucks machine in the hopes that a glorious cup of aromatic brew will get the blood pumping through my veins. I will not check my work email. I will not humor my boss by laughing at his corny/completely inappropriate jokes. I will not write cue cards, update Filemaker, research celebrities, or book travel for The Bossman. I will not take notes during pitch meetings. I will not watch youtube videos for hours on end or scour the web for LOST spoilers while pretending to write Extremely Important Emails.* I will have no schedule, no routine, and no income. What I WILL have is a blog, and the free time to do everything in LA I've wanted to try but never had a chance to. And I'll document it for the masses!

*I will most likely continue to watch hours of youtube and read LOST spoilers. I just won't have to hide it from our big, muscle-y EIC during the hiatus.

For those of you who are confused by my employment status, let me explain. I work for a television show. This show happens to air reruns during the summer, giving the staff close to 3 months off. Unpaid. It's like adults on summer vacation!

...only better because we can drink.

...but worse because we can't really afford the $12 cranberry vodkas they serve up in Hollywood

What's most troubling to me is the fact that I will have to actually BUY food. Hollywood is chock full of jobs offering long hours for disgustingly low pay. But the reward is in free eats at Craft Services. I don't think my kitchen has been fully stocked once since moving to LA 2 1/2 years ago. I guess I'll have to learn to cook this summer...

Living large with no cash isn't really a stretch for me - I've done it since graduating in '06. But 3 months with no work is a long time. I'm not sure how this will really go. But in order to make this a little more interactive, let me ask you, the reader, a simple question...

What should I do this summer?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers